Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

EE brake review

EE brake review

Postby madcow » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:48 am

EE Cycleworks has just released their brake for sale. I saw these at Interbike last year and while I thought they looked interesting I didn't think they were attractive. Now, I've completely changed my mind. It doesn't have to do with the fact that they are very small. It is based on the fact that to me they look like they should work really well.... In fact they do.

The complete set was 197grams with pads and holders. Retail price is $520 and that does not include the pads. Colors are silver and black.

Ok, so now that the specs are out of the way, on to the brake. The first thing I noticed about the brakes was the pad installation. A very unique approach. While not identical it reminds me of the old magura brakes where the pads just snap into place. Changing pads requires only your fingers and about 10 seconds. If someone were to be using different pads on different wheels, I'd recommend these brakes based on no other factor than the pad change.

On to the installation. Normally I read instructions, because it's always good to educate yourself as much as you can about whatever it is your riding. However in this case I'm glad I did. Had I just installed the brakes, I certainly would have taken a different approach and would have missed a couple of key elements such as the 7/8" to 1" gap involved in setup. However I did notice that tensioning the cable so it does not rub on the pivot seems to get the spacing close to what is called for, so perhaps that would have worked itself out. I doubt though, that I would have centered the brakes as recommended, which was extremely easy and perfectly accurate(glad I didn't just go at it with a cone wrench.)

Installation is a bit involved and cable housing length is critical. Stiff housing such as flying snakes should probably be avoided. I think these brakes would be a good candidate for Nokon since it never really pushes on a brake. So after trimming my housing 3 times to get the length just perfect, I finally got them setup. But then when tapeing down the housing, the brakes started to bind. It seems that with my bars backside routing(Modolo KX Carbon) and Sram shifters, a kink was created in the housing that bound the cable enough to keep it from returning. Routing the cable on the front side such as most bars would relieved the problem.

I didn't try power cordz on them, but see no reason as to why they wouldn't work. You shouldn't even need the PC clasp as you can wrap it as you would on a derailleur.

I'd recommend if someone isn't patient or skilled in brake installations they may want a good mechanic to do the install. Not that it can't be figured out, but that it might be a bit frustrating.

Once properly installed the first thing I noticed was what felt like a complete lack of friction. It may have to do with the low powered spring, or the bushings, but either way they seriously felt as smooth and effortless as the hydraulics on my mtb. A very good first impression.

The road test. I used yellow swiss stops and Edge carbon rims. The raw stopping power is impressive to say the least. I don't know if I'd go so far as to say it's better than Dura Ace, but I would be very confident to say that it is every bit as strong. But the thing that got me was the modulation. Ok, so it's true lots of brakes modulate well, and some brakes stop well, but not many modulate well on carbon AND have DA amounts of stopping power. These do.

Intentional power slides were no effort, taking me back to my youth, but costing me a new rear tire. Panic stops were amazing. Stopping as fast as anything I've tried but without any sense of being on the edge of locking it up.

All in all I am really impressed with these. I now absolutely love the look of them, it's the look of a brake that really works well.

The only thing I'd question is the strength of the spring. A stronger return spring while it may make the brakes feel a little less surreal would compensate for friction in the cable/housing. It will be interesting to see how much, if any at all, tension is lost from the spring over time. My only other concern is how well or if these will be compatible with some of the newer super wide rims such as Hed and Zipp. With my Edge rims, I ran the setup without spacers, and felt that if the rim was any wider the setup wouldn't work. I'll have to test it out soon.

Next I'd really like to see how the heavier guys like these. Already 3 of our staff have ridden my bike and everyone has come back amazed.
Attachments
ee1.jpg
ee2.jpg
ee3.jpg
ee4.jpg
ee5.jpg
madcow
Dork Overlord

Postby Taniwha » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:33 pm

Great review thanks Jason! They certainly have been on my radar from time to time, although the looks...I go from Go! to Whoa! and back again.

As for a heavier rider to test them - I'm your man! :P
Play with tigers, you get covered in yellow fur!
Taniwha
Cat 1

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:39 am

Great review as always Jason :wink:

I'm afraid the look of them in the photos doesn't appeal to me, but may be that would change if I saw them up close? I believe they are US manufactured, correct? What's the chances of them being sold over our side of 'the pond'?
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby Juanmoretime » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:14 am

Thanks! Great review. Are colors available? Actually I don't care about colors just black!
For my next trick I will set myself on fire!
Juanmoretime
Cat 1

Postby pritchet74 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:40 pm

Bummed that they probably wouldn't work with the wide Hed rims. Maybe in the future they can change the design a bit to get them wider. I had the same problem with M5 brakes where I couldn't even use the M5's (using the M5 shoes) with Campy Eurus wheels. Brakes need to open WIDE!!!!
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Gold Knight » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:59 pm

nm
Gold Knight
Cat 2

Re: EE brake review

Postby mises » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:19 am

Been riding them for a almost 2 weeks now. Very pleased. Only issue so far was the first time I used them I nearly shot myself off the front of the seat. It feels like it takes no more force to lock up the wheel than it does to just scrub some speed off.

On the stand it was very deceptive since the levers could easily be bottomed out, made me concerned what would happen on the road, but in practice I never came close to running out of travel.

Because of the low force required I think they would be great for women and others with small hands. One or two fingers on the levers is plenty.

Setup wasn't that hard and I really like the way they are centered, and way they stay centered. Very good for traveling where most brakes are always out of whack when you put the bike back together.

I did rebend the springs a little to counteract cable friction. Wasn't really noticeable at the levers but they did snap back a little better.
mises
Cat 4

Postby Ypsylon » Wed May 20, 2009 11:06 pm

madcow wrote: My only other concern is how well or if these will be compatible with some of the newer super wide rims such as Hed and Zipp. With my Edge rims, I ran the setup without spacers, and felt that if the rim was any wider the setup wouldn't work. I'll have to test it out soon.

Did you ever get a chance to do that? I'm considering the Stinger 6 wheels but the brakes will definetly stay and I don't want to compromise braking now that I know how great it can feel.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby tblairhug1 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:49 pm

Have you compared these over against the Bram m 5 ???

I weigh 205, ride some mountains, and am curious.....
tblairhug1
Cat 5

Postby rustychain » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:53 am

95kilos here. Three seasons on M5. Just got 100 miles on the EE's. Assuming optimal set up I find supprising that the EE offer more usable stopping power. I was able to come to a rather quick full halt and do a track stand on an 18% downhill grade. Brakes modulate better and brakes allow better toe in and clearance for bigger tires such as 25's. Useful for us big guys. In a full out panic stop I could not tell any difference in stopping distance. With the M5 I got some fork shudder using a reyonlds ul fork. No such issue with the EE. I do have a concern about pivots wearing and frankly I am unsure yet how to maintain the EE brakes yet. I used Swiss Stop pads in both brakes
Last edited by rustychain on Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eat well, train well, race...
rustychain
Cat 2

Postby dalai » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:23 am

Should that read 'No such issue with the EE'?

They sound like good brakes, I just can't get past how they look. :oops:
Last edited by dalai on Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dalai
Cat 1

Postby HammerTime » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:43 pm

They look a lot better in person than in web pictures. Anyhow, function is its own aesthetic.
HammerTime
Cat 1

Postby rustychain » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:12 pm

I will say that while I like the M5 they lead in the ugly brake division. The EE I have are black and are not as noticable. My bike is an IF SSR, I suspect they would look more out of place in say a Prince or the like. I agree that they look better in person but for us big guys the function is more important. I also should add that I'm running Campag SR. I tried a short ride before on my friends DA bike and truthfully not struck as them being better for me then the M5. Perhaps this was due to his set up or just that his bike sucks ;)

( are you reading this Tom)
eat well, train well, race...
rustychain
Cat 2

Postby HammerTime » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:43 pm

madcow wrote:The only thing I'd question is the strength of the spring. A stronger return spring while it may make the brakes feel a little less surreal would compensate for friction in the cable/housing. It will be interesting to see how much, if any at all, tension is lost from the spring over time.

Has the return spring been strengthened in the new model? How does the return spring tension hold up over time - old model and new model (for whatever amount of time new has been used for)?
HammerTime
Cat 1

Postby jimm1909 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:59 am

HammerTime wrote:
madcow wrote:The only thing I'd question is the strength of the spring. A stronger return spring while it may make the brakes feel a little less surreal would compensate for friction in the cable/housing. It will be interesting to see how much, if any at all, tension is lost from the spring over time. Univoip Reviews

Has the return spring been strengthened in the new model? How does the return spring tension hold up over time - old model and new model (for whatever amount of time new has been used for)?

I am wondering the same thing... Has the return spring been strengthened?

Does anyone know?

Thanks in advance,

-Jim
jimm1909
Cyclotourist

Next

Return to Reviews