Skip to content

Where’d you ride today?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
    Keymaster

I wanted to see everyone’s local riding grounds since we have a pretty international scene. This is mine, not exactly today but I got up early on Sunday to beat the heat here in Tucson. This is something I grabbed from Windy Point on Lemmon. The twist of road down below is about 4 miles down the mountain as the road winds.

Tucson, Windy Point

I run the Facebook Page, Twitter Account and write code the rest of the day.
    Participant

Ok neither of these were today….its raining here today

But one was a morning road ride up Hawk Hill, and the other on Coastal Trail in Marin

Participant

Looking forward to riding Mt Lemmon – will be there mid September!

My photos aren’t from today either – as it is dark from 5pm at the moment! But my regular Wednesday night ride is 3 hours hitting the various climbs on Mt Dandenong pictured which is ~ 30km East from the centre of Melbourne (population 4 million – Victoria, Australia). It offers climbs 3 to 10km in length that can be strung together for a great workout!

View from Montrose

Montrose view

View of Silvan Lake from Kalorama

Silvan Lake

Part way up the most popular climb on Mt Dandenong – named the 1 in 20 – 6.8km 4.1%

1 in 20

• This reply was modified 10 months ago by  dalai.
    • This reply was modified 10 months ago by  dalai.
    http://climbinglama.blogspot.com.au
    Participant

My home trainer. You don’t want to see a picture of that. This is what happens when you have 3 kids.

Ilcappellino.blogspot.com
    Participant

Wow, you’re all very lucky to ride in such beautiful surroundings. Here in the Netherlands it’s all flat with many dikes and wind. The picture below, that I’ve taken myself from a small Piper airplane, shows my cycling area. At the bottom you see the “old land” and a bridge that ends up in the “new land”, wich is a polder (Flevoland) protected by dikes. I will probably ride there today.

A couple of times a year I go to the south east of the Netherlands where we have some hills, you might have seen some of them when watching the Amstel Gold Race.

Flevoland

Participant

I did Sa Colobra, a Cat 1 climb here in Mallorca about 20 mins from my house.
    However, a disclaimer, the first two photos are not mine, as Im a terrible photographer!
    [/URL]
    [/URL]
    [/URL]

Keymaster

There’s some great rides around these parts! :) Dalai, make sure to stop by and say hi. 4kicks, you’ve solidified my need to go to Mallorca. I’ve been rock climbing a lot more lately and I hear that’s spectacular as well. So…

Also, one of my favorite places in the world to ride so far has been Northen New Mexico. I can’t get over the beauty of MTBing and the roads. Little traffic and some of the most beautiful scenery ever.

Here’s a few shots from the Sandia Peak Road Race.

And one from Tres Piedras to Tierra Amarilla.

None of these are new, all circa 2005. Hope you all enjoy them.

I run the Facebook Page, Twitter Account and write code the rest of the day.
    Participant

Dalai, make sure to stop by and say hi.

Definitely plan on dropping in to say g’day and can chat about rockclimbing too! Was my first love before injuries forced me to find a new sport. Also looking forward to drooling over all the exotic bike parts… .

Will literally be a flying visit; as I have a full itinerary as I listed in Climbs around Tucson post – http://fairwheelbikes.com/c/forums/topic/climbs-around-tucson/#post-93833

I will be Tucson in the afternoon Monday the 16th after riding Mt Graham in the morning if I keep to my plan. Following morning I’ll ride Mt Lemmon before driving in the afternoon to Palomar Mountain as I’ll be riding that the next day.

All the different locations look great, but Mallorca looks amazing. Love particularly how the road loops over itself in the first picture above!

When is the best riding season for Mallorca?

Participant

ON that loop in the road (called El Nudo): About 10 years ago we shot a TV commercial (for “SanPellegrino Tights” believe or not) which involved a stunt rider coming round that loop at about 120kms per hour on a ducatti, with a camera in the middle trying desperately to track it…

Best time of year is technically End March/April but now the hills have just gotten so mind-numbingly busy with cyclists, the vast majority from the UK and Germany who ride in huge 50 people packs without ceding an inch to anyone, that frankly I think its more fun in October or even early November here, sea is still warm, you may get some rain but the sun seems to be coming later and later here each year. I own two small hotels in the mountains here so can always find you a place to sleep
    Cant tell you anything about Rock-climbing, Im 20kgs too heavy, 20 years too old and 2 kids too many to do that now!

Participant

October suits me better – escaping the Southern hemisphere winter!

I have used Mt Donna Buang repeats to prepare for overseas trips – roughly 90km East of Melbourne as it is the longest local climb at 16.8km and 6.4% average gradient. Downside is it is the closest snow play area to Melbourne. Although the snow is inconsistent, the road ascends the shaded Southern side of the mountain adding to the chill….

Luckily the ski season is off to a poor start and there was no snow yesterday.

Some patches of sun on the lower slopes

Mt Donna lower slopes

Summit 4 degrees celcius and a bitterly cold wind – top of the third repeat late in the day

Mt Donna summit

Ride total 103km – 50.4km climbing 3240m vertical

Participant

That looks like a gorgeous ride! The weather sounds better than the boiling heat that I am dealing with here lately.

Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
    Participant

Jeff, what’s your definition of boiling heat? Chances are I’d trade you that heat for our soupy humidity. I guess I need to start taking some pics of my riding around here.

Participant

When I was trying to do hill repeats on Friday after work the SRM said that the temperature was 118 degrees. Too damn hot to be on a bike.

And yes, I need to take more pics too..

Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
    Participant

That looks like a gorgeous ride! The weather sounds better than the boiling heat that I am dealing with here lately.

Is a really nice training ride and near the top of my favourite climbs in the state. After the first few km still amongst houses, the road heads into lush forest of Eucalyptus trees and huge tree ferns. Road finishes at the summit so no through traffic meaning maybe half a dozen cars passing each lap at best. Lyrebirds were enjoying the cold weather and I got to see a male put on a show on the road shoulder one lap, so engrossed he was I rode within metres whilst he carried on – footage and song of the lyrebird http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjE0Kdfos4Y

Hopefully it still isn’t a heat wave when I arrive!

• This reply was modified 9 months, 3 weeks ago by  dalai.
    Participant

Bummer.. I didn’t ride any of these places today.
    Anyway a great 2012:

Riondajavelinaizoardfountain

• This reply was modified 9 months, 3 weeks ago by  uber-goober.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)