Skip to content

reusing campy neutron hub on different rims, your thoughts please

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    Participant

I have a set of Campy Neutrons and the brake track is wearing thin. Can the hubs be reused on different rims? Your thoughts please.

I’m no Campagnolo expert, but you I’m pretty sure you can. The question is if it makes sense. You’d need new spokes, in this case straight pull ones, which are a little more expensive and limit your options.

A lot of stuff goes into wheel builds. I guess we could start with, were you happy with the wheels?

"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
    Participant

I was/am happy with them, I put campy ceramic bearings in them. The only problem I had was that the rear spokes would sing on slow steep hills.
    I posted here because you guys know what you are doing.
    I think the main issue is that the front hub is 22 holes. They could be rims for climbing or something deeper and more aero. I do know that replacement campy rims are costly.
    Thanks.

Yeah, finding a 22 hole rim would be challenging, I can’t think of one right now.

I wonder why Campagnolo chose 22 holes. ;-)

Some rims you can get custom drillings, but one has to wonder if the likely upcharge and limitation in choices is worth it, especially considering that very nice front hubs are not all that expensive, and you’d have a new hub, with new warranty and all that.

The rear would make some sense, since those are more pricey to get, but I’d probably recommend a little deeper and stiffer rim to make the 24h work well.

If you are a very light rider, you could probably get away with a shallower, lighter rim.

"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
    Participant

As it turns out, on my other wheels, the freehub body is cracked. So. I may take the one off the neutrons and use it on the other hub, and while I’m at it I’ll take the ceramic bearings too. and save my money for some new wheels.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)