Skip to content

Rear Hub Noise Comparison

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
    Keymaster

One question we get asked a lot about is the rear hub noise. Especially with some of the different engagement types.  So we made this quick video that will give you a bit of insight into how a few of our different hubs sound. The hubs we showed are:

Chris King R45 :: White Industries H3 :: Extralite HyperRear :: Extralite SLX :: Tune mag170 :: Alchemy Orc :: Powertap

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG0uBDvgXu0

I run the Facebook Page, Twitter Account and write code the rest of the day.
    Participant

I would be curious to know how all of these hubs would sound in builds with consistent rims and similar spokes. The harmonics of the rims and their materials do have something to do with the loudness and raspiness(for the lack of a better word). It is interesting to hear the difference.

Keymaster

@R_C,

Yeah, absolutely. Since it’s a quick experiment we used what we had at the shop already built. We also tried to use new hubs since break in can change the noise. If this is popular we might try some sort of standardization with more hubs.

I run the Facebook Page, Twitter Account and write code the rest of the day.
    Participant

I love the sound of my H3 Rear hub.

A simple test you could do would be to mount the rear hub(s) in a truing stand and then mount a disc–wood,metal, or something else–with a cut-out shaped so that it would fit onto any freehub, so perhaps a cut-out with the radial profile of one of Edco’s new hubs with the universal freehub. A spacer and the proper lock ring could hold it all tight. Sure the disc wouldn’t have the same properties of any given wheel, but it would at least allow the sound of each hub to be compared. This could be done by machining out the center of a flywheel or the like. It doesn’t have to be a big disc at all, just one with a moment of inertia large enough to allow it to spin for the requisite amount of time. Also, doing the tests outside would likely give a result that give riders a better idea what to expect.

As punishment to shop workers, you could make a shop droog who’s gone afoul of his co-workers ride behind a bike with Spinergy hubs. Man those things sound horrible and would provide a cruel punishment.

Participant

I should have mentioned that using a disc with cut-out as mentioned above would relieve you guys of the need find or build wheels with the same rims, spoke counts, and etc.

Mr. Carbohydrate

My Bontrager X-Lites with DT-Swiss 240 hubs seem more quiet/noisy depending on what lube I happen to stuff in the freehub mech. Pedro’s grease results in an almost Shimano Silent Clutch non-sound while Phil’s Tenacious sounds close to the Chris king Buzzin’ hornets thing. The freedom of choice!

adam

Little bit of an off topic question, but on the wall of cranks you have, the large picture frame with multiple sets of cranks. The cranks to the bottom right, what cranks are those? I acquired a set like that with a white industries bb. I was assuming they were white industries but did not have any labeling. Thanks

Keymaster

The bottom right set are Topline.

ben

Hi Jason,

I have a Tune Mag 180 hub that makes a creaking noise. Is there something that could be done to fix this common problem for these hubs? If so what would that cost me? Thanks

Keymaster

Typically a new style drive ring will fix the creaking problem in a 180 hub. Cost is not very high, but it does require some special tools that very few shops have.

Randy

This is f*ing perfect. I dont know how I found this, but it was exactly what I was looking for.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)