Skip to content

Our Fully Custom Crumpton

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
    Keymaster

We’ve done a few custom modifications over the years – a custom tuned frame, a Di2 mod here and there, some unique artistic driven builds, two world record light bikes. This year we refined our Di2 Mountain bike focused extra attention to a completely custom Crumpton build. The Crumpton is built for one of our European customers who wanted a unique bike that would intrigue passers-by while still being an everyday rider. Part of the assignment was to work with a pink and purple colorway.

Our design goal was to build a light bike that maintained strength and ride quality for a powerful 200 lb rider. To best address this we worked on a ground-up custom build. All contact points were scrutinized as we worked with Crumpton to provide a custom saddle, handle bar and stem. All three were benchmarked with our lightweight components, such as the Schmolke TLO handle bar, and then reinforced and tuned to riding style. Nick then built one of his SL road frames and, as always, worked carefully on tailoring the frame’s ride quality to our requirements.

The components are tuned for color as well as performance. With a pink and purple design it’s easy to add too much and overwhelm the eye; our approach is to either bring it out in the frame or the components. We decided to work with the components on this particular build to provide more opportunities for detail and a higher level of customization. We began with matte black logos on the frame and fork. Then we turned to the components, where almost nothing was left untouched. The Extralite hub flanges were removed and anodized. Even the Kevlar wrapped around the saddle rails was dyed pink. Then to set the drive train apart, we added a Recon “Rainbow” cassette.

In the end this bike is aesthetically one of my favorite builds. The McFetridge bikes have pure artistic art appeal yet this bike accomplishes exactly what I feel it should. A semi-stealth feel that will draw an observant eye closer.

Photo Gallery

Photos © David Haines // BikeRanger.com

I run the Facebook Page, Twitter Account and write code the rest of the day.
    Rob

With all due respect, I think the fork is too much for this frame.

Participant

When this bike was at Interbike it was speced with a seat, seatpost, crank, & forks with 85kg. limits.

If a powerful 90+kg. rider using a bike everyday doesn’t exceed the design limits, who does?

I ask because I have..um matured..& now exceed 85kg. & haven’t bought any part whose weight limit I exceed. Shall we assume then that these numbers are totally arbitrary CYA?

ankul

I’m interested the fork. I never seen the black word before.
    so, how to get the fork with the “scapula” black wording.
    I want it to match with my lightweight wheel black edition.

Please let me know how to do for getting this fork with many thanks.

Keymaster

Ankul,

We added custom decals to the fork and can do the same for you.

I run the Facebook Page, Twitter Account and write code the rest of the day.
    mark fulwider

i enjoy your online store very much.

that aside… This looks like a lot of expensive parts bunch up into one ugly bicycle. Sorry, the hole in the fork is not finished, the frame is ugly, though I am sure, highly functional… put so are so many gorgeous frames, the part lines have very little to do with each other than basic function and it is easy to argue that the crank is by no means as efficient as the Shimano 7900 that was built in harmony with the Di2 setup. Being a supper light bike is cool… But at the cost of safety, functionality, congruent design… well, what you have here is “the emperor’s close.” you can tell everyone how great and cool it is…. but it’s not… just a bunch of miss used expensive parts… Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should. No one in their right mind could take this seriously.

chris c-boston

Amazing, FW Bikes makes some sweet rides, keep pushing the envelop I like seeing all the different components.

Bau

Absolutely stunning – love the custom fork decals. Another wonderful custom.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)