Skip to content

New From Crumpton, EE, Tune, ENVE, and KCNC

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    Keymaster

Typically at this point in the year we’d keep our Interbike projects under wraps, but I’m particularly excited about this bike. Not only is the frame a new offering from Crumpton Cycles but the bike has a lot of new parts on it from companies like ENVE Composites, EE Cycleworks, KCNC and Tune.  I’m also excited because I think it turned out really pretty.  Aesthetically the bike sort of came together better than I could have imagined, with the EE cranks, white Crumpton decals, KCNC Ti Cassette and New Ultimate parts all working together. But I’m probably pretty biased because I built this one for myself. I’m stoked with how it turned out, but pretty bummed that because it’s a showbike, I have to limit the number of miles I put on it, as it still needs to look new in 3 weeks when it leaves for Vegas. 

Crumpton Cycles Corsa Team

There’s a lot to talk about on this bike, and the frame seems the most logical place to start.  The frame is the first of the new Crumpton production frames.  The Corsa Team.  This is the first offering from custom builder Nick Crumpton that is totally stock.  The bike is designed by Nick but handbuilt in Italy.  The higher volume non-custom aspects are what help to keep the price down to $3,900, which is what we’re told will be retail.  For that price you get the frame, Enve 2.0 fork, Sram BB30 bottom bracket, Ritchey headset and a seat collar.   I opted to keep only the frame and fork for my foundation.  While this is a stock frame, there is one custom option, the decal colors.  Since the frames are finished in the U.S. there is the option to choose your decal colors (please note these are not just simple stickers.)  I know many people will choose black decals, but I went with white on mine.

With this frame Nick was aiming more at performance than weight, so don’t expect any records to be broken in the weight department.  My 51cm frame came in at a very respectable 954grams.  The complete bike with focus on performance over weight came out at 5995 grams (13.2 pounds) without pedals.   The fit geometry is pretty middle of the road, not overly aggressive nor too upright and results in a truly amazing ride.  A more thorough review will be coming the next weeks.

Final Prototype of the EE Cycleworks Cranks

Final prototype ready for real world testing

EE Cycleworks Cranks

Also new on this build are the EE cycleworks cranks.  These have been shown around and talked about for a couple of years, and what you see on the bike are the final production version.  After tons of setbacks and bad luck with everything from unreliable machinists to unreliable machinists, (ok, so almost all of the setbacks were caused by a string of incidents with different machinists) they have the final version.  Ten sets of these were produced for final in-house testing and for CEN testing which allows sale of them in the EU.   CEN testing was performed at the end of last week, and they passed with flying colors, clearing the last hurdle for production.

I managed to acquire two sets of these for our own testing.   I got two versions of black, the matted shot peened, which is what is shown on my bike, and another set of standard black ano, which have a glossier look to them.  I also have both a standard and a compact.  My compact set ended up at 613 grams, and the standards came in at 624 grams.  I also got both BSA and BB30 bottom brackets to test out. There will also be a PF30 adapter, but due to the size of the spindle they will not work on bb90 frames or the new bb386 design (the bearing is even larger than the standard 6806 of typical 30mm spindled crank.)

There are lots of things to say about these cranks, but we’ll save them for another post in a futile attempt to keep this one shorter.  Last thing I’ll say about them for now is that the only known change that is planned for production cranks is that the chainrings will be black instead of champaigne.  More on the cranks later this week.

ENVE Smart 3.4 Rims

Enve Smart 3.4 Rims

ENVE Smart 3.4 Rims

Another new item on this bike are the wheels.  Enve’s new 3.4 rims built on the new Tune Mig70 and Mag170 hubs.  I guess we’ll start with the rims.  Not as light as the current 45, but better in so many ways.  The front is 35mm deep and the rear is 45mm deep.  Weight is 353 front and 380 rear.  Wider, rounder, and a significantly more aero shape than the 45 gives these wheels an incredible stable feel, probably enhanced a bit by the extra weight.  A new brake track provides really amazing braking, some of the best I’ve seen in any carbon wheel.  These rims have quickly jumped to the top of my list of favorites, possibly just behind or tied with the Enve 6.7.  Unfortunately they are available only in tubular for now, and we don’t expect to see a clincher version before spring/summer of next year.

The new Tune Mag 170 rear hub

The new Tune Mag 170 rear hub

Tune Mig 70 / Mag 170 Hubs

The hubs are the new 70/170 from Tune.  The Mig 70 front gets only a minor change or two the biggest of which is the change from a 15mm axle up to a 17mm.  Most of the real differences come in on the rear Mag 170.  It sees the same change in axle diameter as the front, going up to 17mm.  It also has the XoT bearing removed and two traditional bearings replacing it making for an easier time to find replacement bearings.  The hub body gets bigger, the freehub gets bigger, the drive ring gets bigger and more teeth are added.  The pawls get bigger as well.  The left flange is moved inward slightly to better balance spoke tension, and the threaded end caps are replaced by press fit ones, which make servicing quicker and easier than the previous Mag 180.  My white hubs came in at 69 grams front and 168 grams rear, dipping a bit below claimed weight.

KCNC Ti Cassette

KCNC Titanium Cassette

KCNC Ti Cassette

The hubs are completed by adding the new Kcnc titanium cassette.  Over the years, I’ve spoken to literally thousands of people about after market cassettes, if you’re one of those people then you already know my stance on them.  My usual comments on them are they are great for showy bikes, but if you are after performance it’s always better to take the weight penalty and stick with a stock, Shimano/Sram/Campagnolo cassette.  However the new ti cassette from Kcnc is the first aftermarket cassette that I have been totally happy with.  With my Di2 setup, there really doesn’t seem to be any difference in shift quality between the Kcnc and the Dura Ace that would normally adorn my bikes.  However, my mind is used to the idea that Dura Ace is by far the best shifting cassette ever, and it’s not giving up that idea easily.  So while I have yet to see any performance difference between the two, I’m not yet going to say that is the case.  I’d like to give it a while and make sure the performance aspect of the cassette holds true over a longer period of time.

The cassette really is a nice piece of engineering.  Eight titanium cogs mounted to a single heavily machined spider are mated two two individual cogs that are machined out of a single piece of titanium.  This produces a cassette that is super light — not only is it light for ti, it’s just about as light as every aluminum cassette we’ve compared it to.   The weight of the 11-23 was 109.6 grams.   Using a spider and joined cogs means that it won’t dig into an aluminum freehub body like some other cassettes do, which is a big plus for those running light hubs.

New Ultimate Handlebar

One other choice I made performance-oriented choice I made was was the handlebar.  Instead of going with the usual lightweight offering, I used the super-heavy but super stiff, 290 gram, New Ultimate alloy bar.  I figured since this bike was about speed and handling and not weight, it was worth the 100+ gram weight penalty to get something ultra rigid that would give great feedback.

So in the end I went with parts that were performance oriented rather than weight oriented and still ended up below 6kg.

Custom Crumpton Corsa Team Build List

Steven

Is the weight of the cranks with or without the BB30 bottom bracket?

david

Very nice!

I don’t want to be the guy who says the tyres are on backwards, but….

Jeff

Jason
    Just wondering how the corsa team bike is working for you ? I’ve been considering a crumpton, but am unsure of which model
    Thanx

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)