Skip to content

Kinlin XR-380 Clincher Rim

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
    Keymaster

From Kinlin, our aluminum clincher rim of choice, comes a new deeper alloy clincher, the XR-380.  Finding an alloy rim deeper than 30mm isn’t the easiest task, but finding one that is still light is even harder.  This one fills that void nicely.  At 38mm deep and 20mm wide this non-eyeletted rim comes in at an average weight 548 grams.   The retail price is $120.Even at a light weight (for an alloy clincher at this depth) the rim is very stiff.  It’s in fact one of the stiffest rims we’ve worked with.  This rim will be ideal not only for those looking for an aero clincher but someone looking for a stiff wheelset or for larger riders looking for not only rigidity but strength as well.  Built up with some Tune 70/180 hubs the wheelset ends up at the 1550 gram mark.    Since these are new we’ve not really had much chance to put many miles on them, but expect a full review in a month or two.

Justin

Looking forward to your review on these. Any idea when these will be available for sale?

Neo

Do you know the drillings available? I really need an 18/24 hole set!

Keymaster

@Justin, 20 and 24 hole are already in stock…

http://fairwheelbikes.com/kinlin-xr380-clincher-rim-p-3453.html

@Neo, We’re going to get a full size run soon: 16, 20, 24, 28, 32. No 18 for now.

I run the Facebook Page, Twitter Account and write code the rest of the day.
    arden

will these be available in colors?

Keymaster

@arden – No word on colors yet. Stay tuned though.

Participant

Cheap alternative to carbon clincher, though a bit less aerodynamic… but hey we get what we pay for ;-) .

Two questions :
    1) do these rims have angles or straight drillings ?
    2) when will the 16h be available ?

Thanks !

Keymaster

@Pierre,

do these rims have angles or straight drillings?

Straight

when will the 16h be available?

No word yet. We’ll have them ASAP though.

tyjacks

Are these 38mm aluminum clinchers available for purchase?

Participant

Hi, 32H 28H Kinlin 38s are good offerings to the B43, H Plus Son EERO – Formation Face – SL42. The size is close enough but the weight is beneficial as Kinin 38s shave around 100-400g off rim weights of competing 42 and 43mm deep aluminum rims. The Formation Face is still the strongest competitor as its 42mm and 630g in weight. Another reason why I’ve steered clear of the Kinlin series is their machined sidewall left raw. H Plus Son has a machined face on the SL42 but is anodized just in case. It’s no ceramic coat like Mavic but it’s still as an option for potential customers not using rim brakes. – illnacord

Brian

Hey guys,
    Any word on when the additional drillings will be available? It’s wheel-building season, we need those hoops!

Keymaster

@Brian,

Any word on when the additional drillings will be available?

I can’t promise what will show up but we have rims arriving tomorrow or Mon and there should be a few new drillings. Look for the web site to be updated next week. If you can’t wait give us a call Monday or Tuesday and we’ll be happy to hand pick them 520 623 3761.

RipNshread

Wilson, I in no way have any vested interest in Kinlin to start. You should not shy away from machined sidewalls left raw. Almost every single non-ceramic-coated rim is machined post anodizing. Looks like H Plus Sons just skipped this process on their “blacked out” color for some reason. If you look at their anodized or colored rims this is quite obvious. Ask any BMX kid and they will tell you that anodized or chromed brake tracks do not provide the same level of braking performance that “raw” machined sidewalls provide. This is due to the hardness of both the anodizing or the chrome finish. In the wet this is effect can be even worse. If your not using rim brakes of course this is a moot point. The anodizing will also wear off very quickly and unevenly in inclement conditions resulting in “brake pump” or “chatter”. Chrome does not have this problem but its like trying to get your brake pads to gain purchase on ice rims when they get wet. Ceramic coatings are another beast all together. Ceramic coating is like adding fine grit sandpaper to your sidewalls. Increases braking performance at the cost of your pads. Harder compound brake pads are advised for this reason. So, other than looks I can’t see a reason to go for anodized or chrome rims when evaluating from a performance standpoint. That said, the rims you mentioned would look sweet on my fixie.

Keymaster

Brian, RipNshread,

Sounds like both of you are saying similar things. We have the opportunity to sell both rims and recommend the KinLin rims to our customers for a reason. I’ve been living in the rainy NW via Portland Or for over a year now and am happy with overall breaking performance and longevity of the Kinlin. My girlfriend and I both use them on training wheels.

fred

hello,

does it possible to buy these rims for internal nipples ???

best regards

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)