Skip to content

Improve my ride

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    Participant

Upgrade priorities. How do you decide?

Really like my bike how it is, except for the coarseness of the drivetrain. I don’t know which translates to efficiency more between weight decreases and smoothness.

I know the steer tube is not cut and slammed, but it is comfortably fit to my old body.

Esthetically, I’d like to upgrade the brakes to something red or black ( or red and black).

So if this was your ride, how would you decide which upgrades will help the most?

That’s a pretty nice bike to boot!

What parts would “help” you is largely determined by what you’re trying to do with your bike.

If you’re just looking for free speed, the wheelset is likely the way to go.

One of the parts that made riding a lot more fun for me were the EE-brakes I got. They are pricey and do take time to get the set up just right, but after that they are just brilliant.

I also like the Tune Komm Vor saddle a lot, but that’s obviously very personal.

Maybe if you post a complete build list we can find some other places where you can upgrade, like inner tubes or something.

"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
    Participant

Would love some new wheels. I used these off my old bike because they were better than the kyserium’s that came on the cervelo.
    I haven’t ridden sew-ups in eons and will prob stick to clinchers despite the weight penalty.

I don’t have a complete build list, but I can put one together later. It is a pretty stock 2011 cervelo build.

Have looked at those ee’s and they are nice.

What about the drivetrain? It is 2011 red all around but with bbright and rotor cranks. Would new pulleys and a different chain offer anything towards more smoothness? This is my first SRAM bike and it is noticeably mechanical in comparison to shimano’s I rode prior.

Thanks for the advice, too.

Personally, I wouldn’t bother replacing either before it’s worn. Maybe try a different lube. It may change nothing, but sometimes it does wonders. I like the chain-l no5 stuff, especially because it holds up so well even when it rains.

"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
    Participant

Wheels. That’s a beautiful bike, but the wheels just aren’t in the same league as the rest of the bike. Wheels are a very personal thing though. I would stick with clinchers as you have mentioned – tubulars are just too much of a hassle when it comes to flats. I wouldn’t go with full carbon tubulars for safety reasons, but that’s just me.

Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
    Participant

I have an S3 http://fairwheelbikes.com/c/forums/topic/my-s3-rings-ed/ and one of the first things I did was carbon pulleys and a KMC chain. It made a big difference but if you have a SRAM 1090 cassette it is hard to keep it quiet. Those things are like a drum. I use a 1070 and it is much quieter and actually shifts a little better. Lube may make a difference too. Check out http://www.Frictionfacts.com for everything friction related including lube, pulleys, etc. If you are looking for brakes KCNC make some nice light ones too if you can’t afford the EE’s. Just my 2 cents, hope it helps.

Ilcappellino.blogspot.com
    Participant

thanks for the posts. That s3 of yours is sweet in olympic white.

Looking back at my post, that stem on my bike looks redonkulous. I need to change that and have it cut.

I was looking at chain and lubricants first because that is cheap and easy, but then new wheels would be such a logical upgrade….just expensive and hard to select with so many good choices out there.

Then there is the upgrade to a new bike side that always tempts. New red is quiet and light out of the box, I hear.

The new s5 was such a turnoff to me aesthetically when it came out, but as more time goes by I am liking it more and more.

Oh bother.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)