Skip to content

I have an itch for a new frameset

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
    Participant

It’s been 4 years on the same bike, but I do hope to get another year out of her at least. I always thought that I would go from my Cervelo SLC-SL to a Cervelo S5, but now I am not so sure. I love my bike, but I am thinking that I love her because I know that she is fast. And she is sexy, don’t get me wrong. Sexy is important. But, the ride quality could be better. It could be a bit more comfortable and it could certainly be stiffer when out of the saddle. I have heard that the ride quality of the S5 can be a bit harsh. Before this bike I was on a Cervelo R3 and that bike really rode great, so maybe I should consider a newer R3 or R5?

I find BMC as a company to be awesome. I love that they try new things and mostly that they make their own carbon tubes. The Team Machine SLR01 looks pretty good, but I have no idea how the ride is. I heard that earlier BMC frames weren’t that great though.

With my aero obsession, the Specialized Venge would be an obvious choice and I really like the look of the Cav model. Has anyone ridden a Venge that can give input?

Part of me wants to go to something that just rides fantastic though and looks sexy as hell, which points me to a Colnago C59.

Input please………..

• This topic was modified 10 months, 1 week ago by  pritchet74.
    • This topic was modified 10 months, 1 week ago by  Emiliano Jordan.
    Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
    Participant

I too have been thinking the same thing.

I have 2 cervelos.

2006 Cervelo Soloist Aluminum w/ Sram Red, Chris King classic hubs, open Pro, Zero grav brakes
    2008 Cervelo SLC-SL w/ DA7900, Tune hubs, the old reynolds DV46C rims, Zero grav brakes.

I’ve been thinking of replacing my soloist aluminum. It rides harsh and the bottom bracket is not stiff. I can make the chain touch the front derailleur plates on a full out sprint. I have a lot, and I mean a lot of kilometers on this thing. As the SLC-SL is for nice day rides only.

I was thinking a LOOK 586 SL or the new Diamondback podium 7. Neither bike has the Tour de France cache… blah blah blah…

The reason for the look is it’s a brand that has always caught my eye. Ever since the Look 595 ultra. I’ve never ridden a look and it is not popular around here. I live near Toronto, Ontario, Canada, so this is Cervelo territory here.

The reason for the Diamondback Podium 7 is that it is designed by Kevin Quan. http://www.kqbikes.com/ He was a Cervelo engineer (Vroonmen White engineering company) who designed the original carbon soloist. He has since branced off and runs his own company consulting for the likes for Parlee, Cervelo, etc…

The Diamondback is not awfully expensive. Performance Bike sells them, and I have read of huge discounts when you go on a sale day.

These days I see too many people who get into the sport. Rich older people and immediately go out and buy a Parlee, or the top top of the line Cervelo. Come out and ride for 40km and go home with no understanding what they have.

The other option I’ve been thinking is a custom Reynolds 953 frame made by Scott Quiring. http://www.quiringcycles.net
    -He makes nice stuff
    -He isn’t part of the custom builder crowd that thinks if you charge stupid amounts of money people think the bike/brand is better than the next

OR

a Marioni custom steel bike. http://www.marinoni.qc.ca/IndexEn.html. A Piuma made from Columbus Spirit. Again not stupid expensive. Is the classic quintessential east coast road racing bike that was a staple for many race teams in North America in the 70s and 80s.

2008 Cervelo SLC-SL 12.4 lbs | 2006 Cervelo Soloist 14.99lbs | 2008 Lynskey Custom M230 18 lbs | 2010 Lynskey Pro29 SS TBD lbs | 2011 Rocky Mountain Element Team RSL 20 lbs | http://www.hackracer.com
    Participant

It turns out that I will have to get a bike with a standard BSA bottom bracket or I would have to get a new SRM, which isn’t an option. So a BMC is out. The Venge is out too.

Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?

The two bikes with the best “ride” I’ve tried so far are the Parlee Z5 and the Trek Madone 6 Series. Neither has a BSA bb though.

The Neil Pryde Alize I got to ride for a day was pretty darn nice, too. That has a BSA bb, IIRC. Maybe the Bura that has more traditional tube shapes rides even nicer?

"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
    Keymaster

It turns out that I will have to get a bike with a standard BSA bottom bracket or I would have to get a new SRM, which isn’t an option. So a BMC is out. The Venge is out too.

The Praxis conversion has been wonderful. I know it’s not an optimal solution just wanted to make sure you had that in the back of your mind.

I run the Facebook Page, Twitter Account and write code the rest of the day.
    Participant

You can still use get a press fit and use an adaptor as has been suggested. For my Corsa that Nick Crumpton built. He uses a PF BB and I use shimano thus used a wheels mfg adaptor. I have had no issues.

With that said, it sounds like you have time. I HIGHLY recommend speaking with Nick and ordering a Corsa.

Feedback on the Venge. Super fast bike but you might as well go to alloy. It is so stiff and uncomfortable but man is it race bred. I have several mates who are sponsored riders who had a choice btn the venge and an SL4. All the ones on the Venge wish they would gone with the SL4.

Participant

Pritchet….get an S5…you will not look back!!

it is definitely not rough on long rides, it climbs very well with light wheels, and you feel like Thor Hushovd riding it every time you put your leg over it (the best bit)

I have JUST had my frame custom painted in San Francisco, and will be getting it back to build in next couple of days to build up

Participant

S5 should be fairly common.

Take your set of wheels and go find a shop and borrow one for the weekend for a test ride. I think the Cervelo Geometry has changed a bit since our era of Cervelos.

2008 Cervelo SLC-SL 12.4 lbs | 2006 Cervelo Soloist 14.99lbs | 2008 Lynskey Custom M230 18 lbs | 2010 Lynskey Pro29 SS TBD lbs | 2011 Rocky Mountain Element Team RSL 20 lbs | http://www.hackracer.com

That custom paint job looks really promising.

I too have been thinking the same thing.

I have 2 cervelos.

2006 Cervelo Soloist Aluminum w/ Sram Red, Chris King classic hubs, open Pro, Zero grav brakes<br>
    2008 Cervelo SLC-SL w/ DA7900, Tune hubs, the old reynolds DV46C rims, Zero grav brakes.

I’ve been thinking of replacing my soloist aluminum. It rides harsh and the bottom bracket is not stiff. I can make the chain touch the front derailleur plates on a full out sprint. I have a lot, and I mean a lot of kilometers on this thing. As the SLC-SL is for nice day rides only.

Slightly OT, but I turned my aluminium soloist into a training TT bike and like it quite a bit in that role. Resale value isn’t all that high here, and I was too attached to it to just give it away. I’ve put an adjustable stem on it and with the flipable seatpost head it’s super flexible when it comes to fooling around with the position.

"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
    Participant

Jeff– no specialized! NO! You’d be riding a frame that looks like a dog pooping. Unless you’re into that, it’s not really sexy. Then there’s the “shortened” version of specialized– “spesh”. Sounds like you’re teaching a self-contained class in a public school and/or… (let me stop there).

Participant

The Venge is an absolutely no. One of the main reasons that I want something new is so that it’s more comfortable that what I am riding now, but also better when out of the saddle. Luckily there is a very nice bike shop close to my house (Davis Wheelworks) that carries BMC, Cervelo, Felt, Colnago, Pinarello, & more). I had a long talk to a guy there and after talking to him it sounds like the new BMC SLR01 is a heck of a bike and would fit the bill for what I am looking for, but it’s a BB86 bottom bracket.

Concerning the Praxis BB conversion – it looks like it just works with PF30, so it wouldn’t work with the BMC. I do like the look of the BMC – especially the new 2013 one. And it is ready for Di2 internal wiring, which I find essential. A point that the guy from the shop made was do I really want to base a new frame purchase around a crankset. And I think that I do. My SRM was custom and I really love it, but, it has the old style crank arms so I could certainly gain some stiffness with something a bit more modern. It has to be 165mm though, so the only options are Dura-Ace or Rotor. A new SRM will set me back $2000 though.

The shop has offered me a good test ride on anything they have in stock in my size, so I will check out the BMC as well as a S5 and R5. If I fall in love with one of those then I need a new crankset though.

Otherwise the leader in the clubhouse is a Colnago C59. The shop can get me one, but they don’t have one that I can test ride. So my only option is to wait until early August when I will have the ability to ride a friend’s.

Participant

an EPS could be priced right and is close to the C59 in sexiness…

Participant

I thought that as well – but what about Di2? Then I would have to route the cables externally and that might take away from the sexiness. But if I could find one in a paint scheme that could hide that it would be worth considering.

Yes, that’s an option for sure.

Participant

If you get a Colnago, you have to run Campagnolo… There is nothing sexier than an Italian bike with Italian gruppo.

Participant

It would have Campy brake levers. :-)

And regarding that re-painted S5 – where did you get it painted from? That is GORGEOUS!!!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)