Skip to content

Fuchs Bike

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
    Participant

Hello again,
    was not that active on cycling and on forums the last half year as i´m mostly sitting in kayaks right now.
    But i still cycle some miles and of course i still have my bike.
    On the old forum my thread was this one: http://fairwheelbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7359
    Had been cool to keep going in this thread but it was not possible so i start this new one.

The Bike has not changed that much. Since last time i wrote i got the new pedals on, made some new kork-brakepads and changed the front tire to an Veloflex Servicio Corse which i still had laying around. I ordered some new pairs of Dugast Silk tires for five month ago but still did not got them as they are waiting for some material to built my 18mm tires :(
    Then i changed and tuned a bit on the rear derailleur to get it down to 85g so now the bike weighs in at 4208g

sub4 i´m on my way
    Participant

I have always loved your bike and I will continue to love your bike. Have I mentioned that I love your bike? ;-)

Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
    Participant

Thanks a lot for the kind words :)

Here is the partlist for right now

- Stevens SLC Frame (`56 – 2009 – made some changes and took the paint off) + NLB Saddle and Seatpost which i build in to the Frame + Fuchs chainguiard = 904g

- Ritchey WCS Carbon Fork (paintless – 194mm Steerer – part of the headset glued in place) = 252g

- FSA Headset (changed a bit – Corparni cap) = 52g

- Coparni Prototype Stem (-8grad – 100mm) = 64g

- Schmolke TLO Bar ordered for my needs (400mm – Ergo Form – 144g) + Fuchs Brakelever (70g – are one part with the bar) = 214g

- BTP Shifter (shortened – Fuchs nylonparts + alu screw) = 3g

- Velox Tressorex Cotton Bartape (just at the top of the Bar – with a seam to hold it in place) = 17g

- Zipp 300 Crank (without paint – 172,5mm) = 296g

- XX-Light Bottombraket (tuned – 108mm) = 118g

- Fiberlyte Chainring (tuned/Style2/53-130/Singel) = 51g

- Zipp Chainring-bolts + Carbonspacer = 9g

- Ultralight Cirrus Ti Pedals = 71g

- PYC 11 Chain (108 Glieder) = 212g

- Nino Titan Cassette (11-20 10x – tuned with other Nino sprockets + Fuchs Carbonritzeln + Carbonspacer + Alu Lockring ) = 93g

- Lightweight Ventoux Frontwheel = 439g

- Lightweight Ventoux Backwheel (tuned with DT190 parts) = 588g

- Tune Skewers = 17g

- Vittoria Corsa Evo CS + Veloflex Servizio Corse = ca 465g

- Fuchs Derailleur (mixed from Fuchs Parts and some Tiso Parts + Extralite Pulleys) = 85g

- AX Lightness Brakes + Fuchs Brakepads = 115g

- Fuchs + I-Link Cables = 79g

- Fuchs Bottlecage + Alu Bolts = 8g (x2 on warm/long rides)

- Extras (Glue – Air and so on) = ca 21g

hole Bike = 4208g

• This reply was modified 7 months, 4 weeks ago by  Fuchs.
    sub4 i´m on my way
    Participant

I´d like to get my Brakes under 100g so i started with some small testbuilds.
    Today i made a complete new Brakepad for the rear. I just made one so i could see if it would be stiff and work – and it seems to do it.
    For the Frontbrake the Pads will be a bit wider and longer but at the rear i think this one will do it.
    without the Screw and shim it weighs 1,6g :D (the whole part you see in the Picture)
    I guess that all 4 Pads and screws and shims will have around 12g which is around 10g less than the pads i ride right now. Later even a bit less as i will get the Schmolke carbon screws.

sub4 i´m on my way
    Participant

The second brakepad is almost ready and i will try this two on the rearbrake tomorrow.
    Made some small changes on some spacers and so on and had the bike on the scale (just counted the weight the last month) and the scale showed 4192g which is sub 4,2kg for the first time :)
    Tomorrow with the new Pads it should be around 4185g i guess.

sub4 i´m on my way
    Participant

How do you like those cork pads?

Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
    Participant

You have to find the right cork. Tryed some different last year and some are just bad, others are quite ok and a few are good.
    These i have now are a bit softer like Corimas old red cork and wear out a bit faster but i bought a big corkplate of this material which will give me some hundreds pads i guess.
    But wear out and wear out – my last corkpads i just throw away becaus they oily and did not work any longer – had them for some years :)
    But the thing is i do not live in the mountains and when i´m breaking i always brake short but hard so the pads are not wearing out that fast or burn away.
    So for me the cork pads work fine but of course they are not as good like yellow swisstop ore pads like this.

sub4 i´m on my way
    Participant

How do you like the Ultralite pedals? Have you gone back and forth (on different bikes?) between Ultralite and some other pedals, and if so, do you get “confused” in the heat of the moment as to how to unclip? Are you using fixed or float (Ultralite) cleats?

Participant

I really like the pedals.
    They feel quality and are made nicely and are looking good.
    I´ve got the 5° version.

The first time i clicked in i was surprised how easy it was and i had no big problem to find the pedals at all – and if you would have some trouble to find the pedal you can just put the cleat a bit in front of the pedal and pull back and click in.
    The only trouble i had was at the first day as i tryed to start at a little hill. Got a bit stressed and the problem is that you can not get power into the pedal before you clicked in. Toke me a minute to start. But now as i got used to these i do not see a big problem any more for my uses.
    To click out again it need some training. It is not hard or so just need the right technic to do. You shell not use some power to click out as then it will not work in the begining and when you get out you will flip into the frame a bit as you pull to the inside. But if you do it right it will be really easy and smooth.
    At my first days with the pedal i had to remember myself again and again and got a bit stressed but lost this feeling and do not think about it any longer.

Riding with the pedals was nothing special – or if i put it in other words, as you go along you will forget them quit fast as there is nothing special in the feeling other than it feels really light!
    But they are stiff and the 5° feels not bad at all for me. The place were you can have the cleats on the shoes (you can not pull them to the front/back as far as other cleats) fits me well and i do not roll ore flip my feet as i pedal. But i guess that the pedals do not fit for everybody.

To learn these pedals is as easy like to learn the “normal” system and as more you use them so more you get used to them. I just have this one bike and gave my old speedplays to a friend of mine and can not say something about how it works if you get confused if you use other pedals as well. I guess that there would not be a problem if you know how to use both pedals. (maybe the same like that you can get confused that there are no brakelevers at the upperpart of the lever on a roadbike when you come from an MTB. Or like you try to look in the mirror when cycling after going with the car – the problem exist but are no real problem)

Like i said i really like the pedals and decided after the second day that these will stay on the bike. I am even impressed how slow the cleats wear out when going. There is a big difference to Aerolite for example. You can see a bit of wear on the outside of course but this will not be much and it is no problem for using the pedals as in difference to Aerolite the pedals is deeper in to the cleat.

sub4 i´m on my way
    Participant

I got the new Tufo tires today and all of them had between 190-193g
    Got the bike down to 4109g and see it for the first time with black tires – kinda cool as well i think :)

sub4 i´m on my way
    Participant

Jack (Uber-goober) send me some new Powercordz and liner for the bike. Got even some nice fanboy-stuff from Fairwheelbike by him…Thanks a lot :)

sub4 i´m on my way
    Participant

I love that jersey. I wish I had one! And that top cap is just pure class.

Participant

Have no pictures right now but the brakepads for the frontbrake are ready and on the bike, even the new Powercordz-wireholder for the brake are ready – with this the brakes have 97g inklusive Brakepads now :) (started at 93g without brakenuts and without brakepads and still have some things to do on the brakes – will get that down to 85g i think)

Then i even startet to install the Powercordz for the brakes and even changed the golden part on the housing to a black one in the same design. looks more stealth but still a bit classy and goes with the carbonhousing i´ve got on the rear derailleur.

Still not ready with all this but had the bike on the scale with the parts and are around 4080g with all this changes :)

sub4 i´m on my way
    Participant

Question: Is it important to you whether the brakes work reliably when you really need them (emergency stop or slowdown)?

Participant

Both of course but i do not ride through towns that often, mostly just at the countryside and i do not have any step-long hills at my place. so mostly i just slow down. But if something is happening of course a wanna brake fast and not just slow down as well.

sub4 i´m on my way
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)