Skip to content

Crumpton BMX, Worlds Lightest PROXL.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    Keymaster

I imagine that quite a few people reading this have already seen this project we did for Interbike, but we figured this was a good time to complete the details on it.   Complete finished weight of the bike was just under 5.4kg, (11.89 pounds)

The frame is a custom handbuilt by Nick Crumpton of Crumpton Cycles.  The frame came in at 957.2 grams.  Being almost the same weight as a superlight 29er frame which is twice the size, this one could certainly have been lighter, however the goal was not to have just the lightest but something that could truly be race worthy.

The bar/stem combo is a Bombshell handlebar and Enve stem with bonding by Calfee.

Hubs are custom made by Tune.  The rear started as a Mag150 and had a new axle and end caps machined as well as the alloy freehub body replaced with a titanium single speed version.

Rims were custom from Velocity based on the tried and true A23 extrusion.

Spokes were custom Pillar Titanium.  Bladed profile with beefed up 13g ends matched to custom 13g alloy nipples.

Complete build list below gallery.

Complete Build List:

Frame: Crumpton Custom, 957.2gr

Headset: Kcnc Radiant R1, 46.7gr

Fork Expander: Tune GumGum  8.7gr

Top Cap / Bolt: Fair Wheel 5.9gr

Headset Spacers: Parts of Passion 2.8gr

Fork: Sinz Carbon (175 lbs weight limit.) 462.2gr

Crank Arms: Tune Smartfoot 508.2gr

Bottom Bracket Cups: Extralite PF30 22.3gr

Bottom Bracket Bearings: HSC Full Ceramic, 33.4gr

Chainring: Absolute Black, 36t, 51.4gr

Chainring Bolts: Kcnc SL 4.6gr

Chain: KMC X9SL 194.8gr

Cog: Recon Titanium 13t, 21.1gr (includes all spacers)

Cog Lockring: Far and Near, 5.1gr

Front Wheel: Tune Mig45 Custom front hub, Velocity Custom A23 rim, Pillar Custom Titanium spokes.  438.5gr

Rear Wheel: Tune Mag150 Custom Rear hub, Velocity Custon A23 rim, Pillar Custom Titanium spokes. 544.4gr.

Rim Tape: Rox Superdute 8.1gr.

Pedals: Bebop Titanium, 146.9gr

Brake Caliper: Kcnc V-brake, 84.9gr

Brake Lever: Kcnc Brake Lever, 23.4gr

HandleBar/Stem: Bombshell Carbon bar / Enve Carbon stem, 407.9gr

Handlebar Grips: Kcnc w/plugs, 19.6gr

Saddle: Tune KomVor, 92.1gr

Seatpost: Tune Carbon, 101.1gr

Brake Cable: Kcnc Titanium, 7.3gr

Brake Housing: Aican Bungarus, 12.1 gr

Tire, Front: Tioga Powerband Kevlar 1.85.  267.6gr

Tire, Rear: Tioga Powerblock Kevlar 1.75.  301.7gr

Chain Tensioner: Custom, 14.6gr

Tubes: Eclipse, front 40.7gr, rear 41.1r.

Participant

What is the mechanism to tension the chain?

Nothing ventured nothing gained!
    Participant

I’m quite intrigued by this bike. I love the idea of a lightweight race based bmx, takes me back to my teenage years. The frame is stunning as I would expect of Crumpton. The choice of chainring is interesting but there again I’m biased in that department. I would still choose a fibre-lyte single ring, however. Is there something special that I’m not aware of with absolute black chainrings? I’m really not too sure about the handlebars, the narrow section where the stem meets the bars at either side looks to be a weak spot? What I’m very intrigued about is a Mig45 front hub on a race bmx, not too fragile? Despite these small things, still an amazing build.

What is the mechanism to tension the chain?

I’m not sure what exactly you want to know, but looks like vertical drop outs to me.

"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
    Participant

Ypsylon, thanks for your response. I noticed that there are allen bolts behind the rear axle. Was wondering if when tightened they pulled the rear wheel back to tension the chain. Some motocross bikes used such mechanisms in the past.

Keymaster

Ypsylon, thanks for your response. I noticed that there are allen bolts behind the rear axle. Was wondering if when tightened they pulled the rear wheel back to tension the chain. Some motocross bikes used such mechanisms in the past.

It’s a BMX chain tensioner that we modified a bit. You’re right, it’s a washer with a bolt that tightens against a plate that is braced on the back of the horizontal drop out. Very similar to what some motorcycles use. They come in a few different types and shapes but they’re all pretty much the same concept.

I run the Facebook Page, Twitter Account and write code the rest of the day.
    Participant

Thx for clarification Emiliano!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)