Skip to content

Climbs around Tucson

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
    Participant

I’m heading across to the States in less than 12 weeks for a three week holiday with the goal to ride as many climbs as possible in CA, CO and AZ.

The Tucson climbs in my schedule is naturally Mt Lemmon and since I am in the area Mt Graham. Would these be the picks for climbs around town, or do you recommend others in AZ?

http://climbinglama.blogspot.com.au
    Keymaster

Mt Lemmon and Mt Graham would be the top two. If you’ve got extra time and want to get more in you can also look at Kitt Peak. If you’re willing to ride an mtb or cx bike Mt Hopkins is great as well.

Participant

Mt Lemmon is a MUST! I was there about 18 months ago. Here was the view from 14 miles up the climb.

The climb isn’t too steep (a steady 5%), but the best part is the descent. All turns are very wide and the pavement is perfect. You can really just bomb the descent and dive into every corner and never touch the brakes. Climbing the 14 miles took me 90 minutes and the descent was 27 minutes. Absolutely the most fun 27 minutes I have ever had on the bike.

Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
    Participant

Thanks guys. No room to bring a second bike from Australia, so will be sticking to the on road climbs this trip…

Participant

I’d loan you a MTB for Hopkins.. let me know.

Also there are some super-steep short things around town.

Participant

Thanks for the kind offer uber-goober. Although it looks great, it will be literally a flying visit through Tucson. Immediately after riding Mt Lemmon, I will be in the car driving across to Palomar mountain that afternoon to ride this the following morning and then the Mt Baldy GRR loop the day after when I fly out.

My three week schedule:

Land early afternoon San Fran
    -Build bike and ride Old La Honda – Tunitas creek loop that afternoon
    -Mt Hamilton, Sierra rd and hopefully Mt Diablo
    -Mt Tam loop
    Drive to Eastern Sierra
    -Death valley ride minus last climb
    -Mosquito Flat
    -White Mountain
    -Horseshoe Meadow + Whitney portal
    -Onion Valley
    Drive to Grand Junction
    -Grand Mesa over and back
    -Independence pass over and back
    -Copper Triangle
    -Trail Ridge rd over and back
    -Mt Evans from Idaho Springs (gate will be closed but hoping to still be able to summit)
    -Pikes Peak
    Drive to AZ
    -Mt Graham
    -Mt Lemmon
    Drive to San Diego
    -Palomar Mountain
    Drive to LA
    -Mt Baldy – GRR loop

Participant

Hey – since you are a power meter guy, what power do you hold when doing a 30 minute climb? And what do you weigh?

Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
    Participant

Mt Lemmon is a MUST! I was there about 18 months ago. Here was the view from 14 miles up the climb.<br>

The climb isn’t too steep (a steady 5%), but the best part is the descent. All turns are very wide and the pavement is perfect. You can really just bomb the descent and dive into every corner and never touch the brakes. Climbing the 14 miles took me 90 minutes and the descent was 27 minutes. Absolutely the most fun 27 minutes I have ever had on the bike.

That would be about 31 mph average for the descent, yet it is 5% and you never touch the brakes? That doesn’t seem to “add up”, unless you’re not very aero ( to an extreme) or some of the figures aren’t correct. Am I missing something?

• This reply was modified 10 months ago by  HammerTime.
    Participant

Hey – since you are a power meter guy, what power do you hold when doing a 30 minute climb? And what do you weigh?

Don’t have any local 30 minute climbs – only 20 minute climbs. At the moment when pushing I am averaging ~350 Watts. I am currently weighing 80kg @ 183cm, but on top of the riding have been running again with the goal to drop 3-5 kg before I arrive.

Also like it did for France 2011, I will be driving 1 1/4 hours from home over the next few months to the town of Warburton. There I’ll ride repeats of our longest local climb – Mt Donna Buang 16.8km 6.4% ave. Unfortunately it is also our closest snow play area so could be seeing more of this!

Summit Mt Donna Buang

Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>pritchet74 wrote:</div>
    Mt Lemmon is a MUST! I was there about 18 months ago. Here was the view from 14 miles up the climb.<br>

That would be about 31 mph average for the descent, yet it is 5% and you never touch the brakes? That doesn’t seem to “add up”, unless you’re not very aero ( to an extreme) or some of the figures aren’t correct. Am I missing something?

Sorry – I hadn’t seen this before.

The descent was done in 2 sections coming down from the 14 mile big overlook area. The 1st 5 miles (10 minutes) I was with someone who didn’t like to descend fast, so I was taking it easy. Then I went at my own pace and once I got up to speed the data from there to the descent (the stretch where I really got to enjoy the descent) is:
    8.24 miles
    14 min 39 sec
    143W average
    99 rpm average
    33.7 mph

Data for the entire descent (including 1 stop to let the hands thaw out)
    13.93 miles
    26 min 51 sec
    109W avg
    31.1 rpm average
    96 rpm

The data probably isn’t adding up because the 1st 5 miles were done pretty slow and then we stopped to get the feeling back in my hands. Then it took me about 0.69 miles to get up to speed (the legs were trashed from the climb) – then I really got to have fun for the rest of the way.

Participant

I can’t believe its already been nearly 2 weeks since I returned from my trip. Around Tucson I rode both Mt Graham and Mt Lemmon. They are both brilliant climbs and therefore am glad I made my way via Tucson back to LA.

Also got to drop into FWB headquarters and met the crew – unfortunately most of the bling was on the way to Interbike…

Participant

Finally got around to writing up my ride up Mt Lemmon. Madcow had tried to sandbag me into trying North Wentworth rd first. In the end I got to the start of Mt Lemmon late so just rode to the Sky Center gate return…

Mt Lemmon report

Mt Graham report

Participant

Awesome series of climbing accomplishments!

Nothing ventured nothing gained!
    Participant

Thanks Mike-K. Was a great trip! Totals: 17 days ridden in 21. 1705km, 42,009m elevation gain and over 5,600km driven!

Getting through all the riding I’d scheduled was surprisingly okay, even though weekly totals were nearly double my 2013 weekly average and all climbing! Hardest part of the trip though was the driving. Basically every day I would finish riding and have to drive anywhere from an hour to over 6 hours to the next climb.

Since I wasn’t sure if I’d return (too many amazing places in the world I still haven’t been) I fitted in CO as well as the CA and AZ climbs. If I knew I’d return I think it would be better to spend more time in the one area, keeping CO and CA as separate trips.

Finally got around to posting my last two climbs for the trip. Links below for those interested.

Palomar Mountain CA

South Grade rd curves

Glendora Mountain Rd- Glendora Ridge Rd- to Mt Baldy CA

Glendora Ridge rd

Participant

dalai you have inspired me to be more ambitious in my climbing ventures. Although I don’t know how you could operate a car properly after so many miles in the legs! :/)

Nothing ventured nothing gained!
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)