Skip to content

AICAN Bungarus Superlight.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
    Participant

Yes, its the longer thinner black plastic (not the clear outer protectors) – I could not get it inside the frame as the cable entry/exit ports were pretty tight, so Ive not used them – all seems fine and, admittedly only 300kms down the road, the Icans work fine!

Participant

Sorry Emiliano, I forgot to say thanks for your reply!!

Keymaster

Good to hear James. I wouldn’t worry about them in your case. And, of course!

I run the Facebook Page, Twitter Account and write code the rest of the day.
    Participant

My frame has full housing internal to the rear brake.

Would this Bungarus kit be long enough and would it rattle inside the frame? I have black electrical tape over nokon housing now to stop the rattling.

Keymaster

nrspeed, the kit would not be long enough as stock, you’d have to get a 2nd kit to extend it. Rattling may be a problem as well.

Participant

Has anyone successfully installed these AICAN brake cables on road bike handlebars? I bought a set, and took them to my regular LBS to mount. They claimed they tried but couldn’t do it because the 90 degree first bend out of the hoods causes everything to bind up…they basically can’t make that bend and then be taped under the bar tape. Did they do something wrong, or are there some tips and tricks I need to go back with?

Participant

Alright, I’m in “DIRE NEED OF HELP”.

Anyone have any issue with shifting in the rear with a SRAM drive train(I’m using Force, 2012 10 speed) and a KMC X10SL-DLC chain?

Is a ridiculously high cable tension needed to have it to work properly?

Reason I’m asking the above questions is, I can’t get it to down shift to the smallest cog, but I can upshift and down shift on the other 9 cogs smoothly. Already tried it with another SRAM Force rear derailleur, same model, that I borrowed from a friend. Still no luck.

Brought it to a very well reputed mechanic and his first reaction was that it’s the type of housing I’m using that’s causing the problem. He did fiddle with it for half an hour and still couldn’t get it to work, then advised me to just go back to normal housings. He also mention that my KMC X10SL-DLC does not work well with SRAM…..

Funny thing was, this setup worked fine with my Ultegra 11-28 cassette with a KMC X10SL-TI and once I put on the new chain and Red XG1090 11-23 cassette, this problem comes up. Brought it over to another mechanic and he has no idea. Worked on it for about 5 days with at least 4 hours each myself and brought it to two different mechanics….. I’ve completely ran out of ideas, hoping you guys can help me out.

P.S. Sorry for the caps, I’m just frustrated and just need to seek some sort of guidance. Also want to apologize if you already seen this in WW. Been off my bike for two weeks because of this since I only have one bike…. :(

Keymaster

I posted this on WW as well, as it may be of use for others.

Troubleshooting problems like these can be tough because there can be so many causes. (derailleur, limit screw, hanger, cassette spacing, cog problem, chain, cable, housing and even the shifter itself.) You need to narrow down where the problem is and there are some ways to do that.

Put your bike in a stand with the chain in the 11t. Unhook the cable from the rear derailleur at the pinch bolt. Pedal the bike and with your hand move the derailleur up to somewhere in the middle of the cassette. Continue to pedal and let go of the derailleur and watch what it does. Does it go straight back to the 11t when you let it go, or does it hesitate in the 12 before dropping, or does it not drop into the 11 at all?

If it drops to the 11 with no problem, you know your problem is somewhere in front of the derailleur.(not the derailleur, hanger or limit screws) Next hook the cable back up, check your shifting. Then do the same test you just did but this time do it with the cable installed. Does the derailleur do the same thing it did with the cable unhooked?

If you report back after doing these tests we can either figure out where the problem is or give you another test or two to try and further narrow the possibilities.

Participant

I posted this on WW as well, as it may be of use for others.

Troubleshooting problems like these can be tough because there can be so many causes. (derailleur, limit screw, hanger, cassette spacing, cog problem, chain, cable, housing and even the shifter itself.) You need to narrow down where the problem is and there are some ways to do that.

Put your bike in a stand with the chain in the 11t. Unhook the cable from the rear derailleur at the pinch bolt. Pedal the bike and with your hand move the derailleur up to somewhere in the middle of the cassette. Continue to pedal and let go of the derailleur and watch what it does. Does it go straight back to the 11t when you let it go, or does it hesitate in the 12 before dropping, or does it not drop into the 11 at all?

If it drops to the 11 with no problem, you know your problem is somewhere in front of the derailleur.(not the derailleur, hanger or limit screws) Next hook the cable back up, check your shifting. Then do the same test you just did but this time do it with the cable installed. Does the derailleur do the same thing it did with the cable unhooked?

If you report back after doing these tests we can either figure out where the problem is or give you another test or two to try and further narrow the possibilities.

The derailleur passed the first test, it does drop into the 11t every time I attempted the test. For the second test, it fails. Thought it does drop into the 11t occasionally, but “very” rarely. The second test was done with cable tension adjusted so that the other cogs can be shifted to.

Also noticed that even if the low limit screw is adjusted properly and the jockey is aligned with the 23t, the derailleur won’t position itself there unless I have a ridiculously high cable tension. Meaning if I do that, I can’t downshift at all and if I don’t do that, the chain doesn’t get seated properly on the 23t cog. This is actually what I see when I try to downshift from 12t(second to last smallest cog) to 11t too. It just won’t move that small amount unless I completely loosen the cable tension. Based on my observation, just feel that the cable is somehow being snagged somewhere by a very small amount.

May I ask what other tests I may try now or where the problem is coming from?

Participant

I’ve been running the Bungarus SL on my Cannondale SuperSix for about 6 months with Ultegra 6700 (now 6800 brakes) and have been mightily impressed by the performance (compared to Nokon and Alligator i-Link). It was really easy to install, including the “fully” sealed option, although it took a few rides to settle in. I also made sure the rear derailleur loop was long enough to avoid any tight bending (there was no problem with cables exitting the levers prior to bar tape). Every cable has been adjusted so none of the four touches another except on the bumpiest of roads. It’s really easy to add or subtract a section provided there’s enough cable inner. The only negative is the use of clear tubing as bumpers, because they fill with brake/road dust and are hard to clean in place. I’m looking for some suitable black tube.

If I get two years (25,000kms) out of the outers, I’d be delighted. One year is all I’d expect from the inners. Unless something more exciting comes on the market, I’ll be reinstalling AICAN Bungarus in about 18 months. Probably even the same colour!

Participant

Hi All, does anyone think these Aicans can bend 180 degrees in a 2 inch half circle? I am contemplating doing an internal rear brake cabling on my Dahon Folding bike, but the cable must be able to bend in half in about 2 inches. I have been told Nokon and BBB can, but can Aican? I am definitely looking at the weight of the cables also.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)