Skip to content

Add geared option to singlespeed cross bike – Di2 1×10?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    Participant

Hi,

Been racing my Crux disc single speed this cross season. Now I want to do some gravel stuff and I’ll need gears for the elevation around here (NorCal). I have 11spd compatible Iron Cross wheels and hydraulic Hylex disc brakes (i.e no shifters just brakes) with a surly 18T cog and 130bcd 42T ring on a RED crank. I want to leave the front alone and I got a 11-36T PG1070 cassette for the back.

I can either do a Shadow Plus XT[R] RD (w/ clutch), cable and a Pauls thumbie/Kelly take-off/Retroshift to mount a 10spd shimano DT/barcon shifter or be more elegant with Di2 (6870) RD and fabricate the rest. I just wanted to check on this latter option with what I think I would need to do and if it’s worth it!

Would I need?
    6870 RD
    rear shifter only to sacrifice – remove the cambus circuit
    cabling (not sure which)
    battery (inside is best for cross/mud)
    two momentary buttons
    case for circuit and buttons

Staying cable-free on this bike would be nice – but seems like a lot of work and with some risk I think?

Cannondale EVO RED Crux SSCX Blur

I’m not sure I completely understand what you want to do.

When you say you want to remove the canbus circuit, do you mean that’s the part you want to use, or do you want to hack it?

Where do you want to place the shift buttons?

Why not just use a sattelite shifter, like the climbing shifter?

6870 is 11 spd, but I guess that doesn’t matter?

"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
    Participant

Sorry – meant 6770 RD. I would use the satellite shifter but I thought this must be used in combination with the brake lever shifter and was simply two remote momentary buttons with no circuitry. If the satellites do indeed have that canbus circuit too I guess that is all I would need?!

I just assumed that you don’t need the STIs because the TT shifters work on their own, AFAIK.

Also, isn’t there a 3port and a 5 port version of the front harness? What good would that do if you couldn’t plug in stuff?

I guess you could even look at Alfine shifters as well.

I’m sorry I don’t have a definitive answer for you, but I hope those leads help you find the answer. If you do, I’d actually like to know, maybe you find the time to report back.

"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
    Participant

Appreciate your comments!

From what I’ve been reading those remotes do rely on the brake lever shifter though.

Package includes one remote shifter with zip ties for the rear derailleur and needs a pair of Ultegra Di2 brake/shifter levers to function – it will not work alone or as a primary shifting unit.

But the etube port thing seems to indicate that the TT shifters might be different as they can plug into the hub whereas it looks like the climbing switch must plug into the brake lever. I’ll try to find out more…

In the mean time I just received a Zee RD (nice and small and has a clutch) and shifter that I need to weld up a larger clamp for and at least get a cabled option going.

Participant

This topic talks about the TT shifters working alone too:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=112509

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)