Skip to content

10 speed Di2 Dura Ace connector removal

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    Participant

Hi, I have the new orbea ordu2013 and am trying to install the Di2 Dura Ace 10 Speed. However the wiring harness is too big (well the cable isn’t but the connector is). Has anyone been able to remove and re-connect these connectors. It would be the easiest solution for me to remove the connector then run the cable through the frame and then replace the connector. However I am not sure how easy it is to remove and replace these 4 pin connectors. thanks

I’m not sure if anybody has removed the plug, but people have cut and reconnected the wires. As far as I can tell results do vary, though. It’s obviously not going to be as strong and water proof as the cable is out of the box and your RD might stop working or will shift all the time.

We’re talking about 7970, right? Is it the internal wire kit you have, or the external one?

"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
    Participant

For my Cervelo I had to drill out the hole in the frame for the FD to make it big enough for the connector to fit thru. Of course, you would be doing that at your own risk. ;-)

Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
    Participant

Thanks guys. It is the 7970 internal wiring kit. It would be pretty easy for my LBS to open the holes in the frame a little, but that would void the Orbea Warranty on the frame. I am leaning towards splicing the cable rather than play around with the connector. Was hoping that someone out there had experience (good or bad) of removing then replacing these plugs/connectors. Thanks for the feedback.

Participant

Splicing the cables is really easy, but you MUST be sure that you do it properly. A couple of years ago I spliced all of the cables from a Di2 external wiring harness to make it an internal wiring harness. Nearly all of those original spliced connections failed over a period of 1-2 years because I didn’t use a good liquid flux to solder the connections. One by one as they failed I soldered them properly and then they were fine. All of the failed connections had just corroded and came apart.

So if you go that route I would make sure that you can get an excellent (complete) soldered connection and make sure that you have a good tight shrink wrap over the connection.

Info on the splice job can be found here:

http://fairwheelbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6939&hilit=di2+internal

Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
    Participant

Pritchet74. Thanks ever so much. Splicing it is then and the link you have provided is a great help!!. I will take great care with the soldering job for sure. (especially after reading your post)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)