October 9th, 2012
By Emiliano Jordan
We hardly ever post bike builds that we don’t complete here at the shop but working with Sugarkane on this bike build has been one of our favorite projects. The build does a great job of focusing on weight but not emphasizing the ultra light over functionality and race worthy aerodynamics. The final build would hold up in any race and luckily he’s also been documenting the project on Weight Weenies showing why he chose a lot of the parts you see here now. Major changes have included switching ENVE 1.45s (now used as climbing wheels) to the more all around Smart 6.7s. Braking was also improved when the popular EE Brakes replaced the Zero Gravity stoppers. The stock Campagnolo Super Record 11-speed cranks have been changed for THM’s M3 modular crank complete with a ceramic bottom bracket and Praxis chain rings. Finally the New Ultimate seat post and striped down SLR saddle gave way to a Berk combo after an Extralite post was installed. The final seat / seatpost combo not only lets you get a custom feel on your rig it saves a lot of grams.
Before I show you the pictures and current build list here’s a few words from Sugarkane about the build.
So I bought this frame set from Jason (madcow) about a year ago and transferred most of the parts and groupset from my Serotta CDA which was already down the WW path at 6.9kgs. Jason also supplied most of the other small parts and upgrades along the way… Basically I wanted a bike that is as light as an 85kg guy can ride everyday, rain or shine without having to spend all my spare time maintaining and fixing the thing. This is the end result. And I’m very, very happy. It’s fast, comfortable, climbs like a rocket, descends like its on rails and has yet to need a cab ride to get me home.
I’d like to thank Sugarkane for sharing this build with us and add our thanks to Marcus, Cameron and Jason at Studio Commercial for the photos.
Build List, 5.28 Kg
- Frame / Fork: 2011 Parlee z5 Medium with custom paint
- Rims: Tubular ENVE Smart 6.7
- Spokes: Sapim CX-Ray
- Skewers: Tune DC14
- Tyres: Veloflex Carbon Tubluars
- Chainset: THM M3, 170mm, 110 BCD
- Levers: Super Record
- Bars: 3T ergonova LTDs
- Handlebar Tape: Lizard Skins DSP Race Tape
- Stem: Extralite OC Road Stem
- Saddle: Berk combo
- Seatpost: Berk combo
- Seatpost Clamp: MCFK, Black Ti
- Front Mech: Super Record tuned with nylon cage bolt and alloy pinch bolts
- Rear Mech: Super Record tuned with Extralite jockey wheels and alloy pinch bolts
- Chain: Campagnolo Super Record
- Cassette: 11-25 Super Record
- Brakes: EE Cycleworks
- Pedals: Speedplay tuned to 142g with ward axles, dulight Ti butterfly kit
- Bottle Cages: Emporelli Dolomiti with Extralite Bottle Cage Bolts
- Cable Set: I-Link with KCNC DLC Cables (Shifter, Brake)
Parlee Z5 Image Gallery